Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Waiting

Work has yet to begin in earnest. Although I would have much preferred to have jumped into work day one, I've instead had to make due with the slow pace of country life. I start the morning chopping wood, starting a fire, and boiling water for oatmeal and hot chocolate. After breakfast I dive straight into Snow, a book by the Turkish novelist Orhan Pamuk. The book is well composed and intriguing and it being my only distraction I've been deeply engrossed.





Around midday the solar panels have stored away enough power that I can briefly check my e-mail but not much else, the battery system has long needed replacing. In the afternoon we've been rearranging all the rooms: bedrooms, kitchen, rec. room, office space, everything has moved to a new location. However I must add, bedroom means my backpack and sleep mat, office means a couple laptops and a table while kitchen means some sacks of grains, four grapefruit and a few spices.

All the AMURT members subscribes to a diet of only "cooling" foods (no meat, eggs, onions, garlic, or mushrooms) and this combined with a cash shortage has causes dinners to be a fairly simple affair. We've had eggplant pasta, eggplant & rice and just last night eggplant & millet. But eggplant is a steal at just $0.08 each, so you really can't beat it!

No comments: