Monday, January 23, 2006

Homecoming

At home I walked in the night seeking out old friends, especially the eight year old Marie-Phile, who I tutor in the evenings and who is my best friend in Haiti. In the darkness, Marie-Phila stealthily approached me from the side as I talk with others. She waited silently for me to turn in her direction before jumping up and hugging me. As I held her she told me how a little boy had spread a rumor that I had return some days ago and hadn't come to see her, and how anger she had been with me after hearing this, and how she found out that it was a lie, and how happy she was that I was back for real. Not letting go, we set out for Jidline's house With Marie clinging to my front in a marsupial like posture. As we neared the gate, Marie's little cousin Ken ran up, insisted on coming. Adding little Ken on my shoulder I carried them both up the hill to Jidline's.

No comments: